View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
biggerNtexas

Drives: 2012 ZR1 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'm glad your happy...

Now, and this is a rhetorical (for conversational purposes) question...

If I was transacting something with you, under less than ideal circumstances (like you are trapped 1000 miles from home with a broken car, which had only recently been completed at a sum of tens of thousands of dollars) and your wife was standing there supporting you as my beautiful wife supports me, and she asked, would you take a check without batting an eyeball over just hearing that the turbo's that cost 1600 retail, which J.R. didn't pay, were going to cost you that much plus more, and I looked at your wife and said... snidely, "no, I prefer plastic"... would that not have pissed you off... If it wouldn't, you either do not care or didn't understand the situation...

J.R. knew we had just spent tens of thousands on this car and we were good for it....

He's lucky I didn't lay him out in the parking lot right then... Fortunately, I have self control and a filter and knew I still needed to get the turbo's and install them...

It's obvious J.R. has rolled out his rolodex and is grasping for help...

J.R. may have offered the other guy defending him a set of brake rotors for his comments... What is he offering you???

I know one of the previous limited number posters is a friend that J.R. goes out to eat with, with their wives...

What's he offering you??? Curious minds want to know...
I understand your frustration. If I didn't have the ability to take a snap shot of your check and have it deposited instantly, I probably wouldn't take a check. Why? If I knew you were really upset, then it's likely that you might stop payment on the check. Since you are out of state, it would probably cost more in attorney fees than it's worth...so in the end, I would probably have to eat it. There is the problem: most business people I know can't just eat $3,200. I'm not sure why your turbos failed or what happened. If they were under warranty, then I'm confident J.R. would have made it right.

Things do happen...I wasn't at Phoenix Fest but I'm sure the frustration level was extremely high and the hot temps didn't help matters. Incidentally, I was married once. Whenever I had high dollar automotive projects, my wife wanted me to spend an equivalent amount of money on her. If I didn't pony up the funds or if the project got out of control with expenses, I NEVER heard the end of it...and she made my life miserable in the process.

It's a pay as you go world. I don't expect nor do I ask for a free lunch. I've always paid my own way...sometimes you pay a little and sometimes you pay almost everything. J.R. never promised me a thing nor did I ask him for special consideration. He showed me the posts and asked my opinion...I've given it. My take is that I've had a completely different experience than you have. Of course, I know of some Hennessy twin turbo customers and their stories would make the hair on the back of your neck stand straight up. This doesn't give Granatelli (or other vendor) a pass.

Back in the 80's, my dad bought a Callaway twin turbo Corvette brand new and his engine literally melted several times. Yes, it was covered under warranty but what a nightmare. I remember my mom reading him the riot act over and over so he eventually gave it back to GM and they gave him another Vette (normally aspirated). Had they had the Internet and a forum where he could air his grievances then, maybe he would have shouted them from the rooftops...though he was never a complainer. From what I understand, Callaway had THE pristine reputation among Corvette owners (much like Lingenfelter is reported to have). In fact, my dad said he heard nothing but rave reviews about Callaway...His experience was something far different. He always scratched his head on that one and we never figured out why he had all the problems he did. It's worth mentioning because bad experiences can happen with ANY manufacturer.

Last edited by biggerNtexas; 05-30-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: revision
biggerNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote