Old 06-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
thirdgenbum
Mullet-mobile driver

Drives: turdgen k-maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Here is a link to a study by the University of Maine's Engineering department:
http://umaine.edu/met/capstone-proje...arator-team-2/
did you read this link? i appreciate that these guys did a study on it, but there was no data on that page, nothing that proved anything. it was just a summary of some theories.

i 100% believe that the catch cans work. after thinking about it a little more, i believe you are right about oil vapor going back into combustion chamber causing possible detonation situations. of course anytime the pcm picks up detonation, it immediately pulls timing and goes fat to try to get it under control. i'm aware of this also. what is the ppm concentration of oil vapor that's causing this though? seems that if that much oil was getting in, that there would be other things going way wrong. i feel like the engineers at gm, ford, chrysler, toyota, and every other major manufacturer would have addressed these problems if they were that detrimental, especially since mpg is the name of the game these days.

i will say, that in a forced induction situation, a catch can should be a priority.

my beef is with how they are marketed. it has to be one of the most talked about topics on the forum....i mean, these things should be pretty simple and cost in the 60-80 dollar range. 42 draft designs sells one for $250 and it doesn't even come with fittings! you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and you may not be doing it, but there is blatant aggressive marketing tactics by some of the sponsors on here selling these over priced tanks to these unsuspecting check book hotrodders.

of course, it's a free market (which i believe in 100%) so maybe i should just commend you guys.

370"lsx/t56 thirdgen....11.24@125 with tons of work left to do!
"Like" MotorManiaTV on Facebook!
thirdgenbum is offline   Reply With Quote