View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChile View Post
The Coyote is a much better engine from a technical perspective for performance, but it is limited by cubic inches. If there was an LS7 sized coyote, that would be one bad engine. The LS engine is a great engine for durability, but nobody on the planet Earth uses push rods in engines other than GM, and for good reason: Over head Cams are much more sophisticated and efficient for performance. An LS would not have a prayer against a coyote if the LS was limited to 5.0 cubes. The LS only competes because it uses more cubes to make up for its obsolete push rod design. Push rods are obsolete much like the flat head design was obsolete by over head valves. I don't understand why GM insists on using push rod engines. Of course, I also don't understand why GM insists on using fiberglass on Corvettes. No car company on Earth other than GM uses fiberglass--its used on cheap replica cars and bass boats. By the way, I am not a Ford guy. I have always been a GM guy but I do like the old Fords and Mopars too. Just keeping it real and honest. By the way, I am looking into buying a Camaro 1LE.
Having owned a Cobra, and now my Camaro, I can tell you that there are a lot of advantages to the pushrod engine. Primarily, low-end torque. My Cobra really wasn't impressive until 4000 RPM. After that, hang on! Doesn't work well for 1/8th-mile racing (all that's available in my immediate area). You MUST get deeper gears for the Mustang, but then you end up with a smoke show instead of traction.

There's pros and cons for each. I do agree, though, that the Coyote engine is a sophisticated, well-engineered engine. The LS engines are good-ol', reliable small blocks.