View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5291
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
I have been biting my lip on this but for those of you that purchased an AR for home defense INSIDE THE HOME is not an intelligent move. First - caliber has no kinetic energy - no stopping power. Their is better kinetic energy from a 9 over the 556, even with frang ammo. Second - unless you know exactly what is behind your target it is going right thru the person and into the next room, neighbor's house, etc. You will need multiple shots for each intruder with a 556 or a clean head shot which is not easy with a moving target. I hope this helps and am not wanting to offend anyone but it is just nonsense that someone says they are going to use an AR platform inside a home.
No kinetic energy? 5.56 fired at the close ranges associated with HD would be devastating on soft tissues. The bullet would tumble and fragment inside the body. The temporary cavity created would be much larger than that of a 9mm hollow point. The issue with 5.56 is at extended ranges where the velocity drops off below the point where it will tumble and fragment.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote