View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
The video is live now: WATCH IT HERE

An additional wicker-bill will be available for the rear spoiler, to increase downforce...

Interesting comments on the Multimatic suspension, and how they can be tuned for both high and low-speed damping...

North of $56,500...

3.91 rear end ratio...

Parts will be available to other Camaro owners...

Around 1,500 built per year...

QUESTION: How tall is Al Oppenheiser? His head it up against the headliner, and I'm 6'7" tall -- and wondering how I'll fit with a helmet. I sense a racing shell is in my future...
Thanks for posting the link. Wow, great stuff.

Having some personal experience with adjustable dampers, I'll note the suspension is not user tunable/adjustable, his comment in the video was to point out how the spool-valve design allows for high and low speed tuning (non- user adjustable, factory calibration), which gives both good wheel control on track (banging rumble strips) without destroying around town ride (road imperfections).

In fact, Jay noted in the video it "gives a nice compliant, firm ride". To me this means they didn't kill the ride with high spring rates, they chose instead to do the right thing and use good dampening. All things being equal, soft springs mean better tire grip to the extent you can tolerate the body roll. Kudos again to the engineers for going this route.

Another tidbit, "80 mph you're barely turning 2000 rpm" comment means obviously that 6th gear is an OD ratio. That's actually a good thing if you are driving the car to/from the track, otherwise you'd be looking at terrible gas mileage and greatly increased engine wear. I've driven close ratio gearbox cars for long distances and the noise and fuel mileage while turning 3000-3500rpm at 80 mph is miserable.

So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged.

The idle at approx 12:00 sure sounds nasty (in a good way).
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote