View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
While I had the door apart, I decided I woud do a little pimpage. I decided I wanted LED Speaker Glow Rings. I drew up some rings in Corel Draw for maximum material utilization, which meant the rings had to be drawn into 1/3 ring.

Next I laser cut the ring parts out of .011" cast acrylic. The laser cut this material in under 5 minutes.

Here are the parts to do the job. 5mm Aqua Green LED's, 470 ohm resistors, the acrylic parts, and I used 18awg zip chord:

I glued the bottom layer together, then glued the top layer on, rotated 60 degrees to overlap the splices, while aligning the LED holes. Next I sanded the rings to frost them and diffuse the light:

I pressed the LED's onto the slots, and soldered a 470 ohm resistor to each LED's positive lead. Wired in parallel, then tested OK with a 9v battery:

I glued the LED ring inside the door panel speaker grill area with contact cement. It was a snug fit, and contact cement is kind of rubbery so it should not vibrate out. I spliced into the Ambient Lighting connector, soldered, taped, and ty-wrapped. Tested operational:

After putting everything back together, I tested the glow, and it is slightly visible in daylight. Will check it out tonight and see how I like it. If too bright, I will add another 470 ohm resistor in series with 1 leg of the power wire. Right now I calculate that at 15 volts and 470 ohms, I am driving them at 31 milliamps. At 12 volts that goes down to 25 mA and adding another resistor will bring them down to 12-15mA each.
Appearance: Blackout Bowties F and R, Blackout Fender Lettering, Painted Lettering on Engine Cover, Painted Strut Tower Brace, White Wiper Blades, White LED H13 DRL's, Blue Dome LED, Blackout Tail Light Bezels, DIYSF Afterburners.
Audio: RF Dual 12" P3's, T400-2, T400-4, T1652-S, T1963, JBL MS-8, RFC1, Isolated Stinger SPV35.

Video:
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS... Mylink removed, I7 Mobile Project
Enhancements: MNM Catch Can, GM Strut Tower Brace.
rray is offline   Reply With Quote