View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Jason_SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMss11 View Post
Hey all, have. A question for my 2011 full bolt on, and cammed camaro ss.

On start up, lll get a straight gasoline smell coming from the vents it seems every time and I've had my car cammed.for about 4 months now. Has.anyone else come across this issue and is it just common after doing a cam install? Also I was told by my tuner that the "ticking" sound coming from the engine is common with the LS3 motor that after you install a bigger cam, the valves are opening more hence creating the louder "tick" sound the ls3 has stock. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
What are the specs on the cam? Depending on how much valve overlap your cam has that can effect the "rich" gas smell. My cam has 8 degrees of overlap and I can smell gas at idle and I even have HF cats.

As I understand it if the car has the o2s in tack still it will not be rich at idle since the o2s are pulling and adding fuel to get the commanded 14.7 AFR. The fuel smell is from the overlap of a larger cam. When both Intake and Exhaust valves are open at the same time the fuel coming into the cylinder will make its way straight into the exhaust and never get burnt in the cylinder thats what gives off the fuel smell. Even larger cams will stink really bad at idle even if the tune commands it to be really lean. Hopefully that makes sense.