View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I was actually talking about how long an OEM shock will last vs aftermarket generally speaking in the car world. Not nessasarily on this ride..

It's open knowledge here in my tribe, hell even in BMW car club communities, etc, that oem shocks typically last 80000km at best before they soften up on you.
This has been my experience as well after 2 decades in retrospect.

Atermarket ones sometimes even offer lifetime warranty.
I use Öhlins coilovers on my Miata, which is one of the highest quality aftermarket suspension systems available in my opinion. Anyhow, even in its own user manual, it states that in order to keep it at top notch performance, it needs to be rebuilt every 20K kms. Koni, yet another very good brand, states that their shocks will soften up in time, and the user should adjust the stiffness settings to compensate.

Long story short, lifetime warranty or not, every shock gets softer. Higher the valving, faster they will become softer, and no one puts on soft shocks on their sports cars

OEMs are no different. At least, OEMs are well tested, and car manufacturers make sure they stay decent for the protected lifetime of the car. You never know with the aftermarket.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote