View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
There are other factors involved also. The age and rating of the wiring that carries the signal can make a huge difference.
I switched to Cable internet about a month ago from DSL. I was supposed to have doubled my speed. But instead it was cut in half. Since the cable inside my home was about 35 years old along with cheap Walmart splitters, I decided to change them out. I bought all new cable rated for HD and high speed internet. I also bought matching splitters. That brought my speed up some but not like it should. I contacted the cable company and requested they replace my cable coming to the house since it was probably 40 years old and not HD rated. After that my speed increased dramatically... So you may want to check into the age and type rating your wiring has.
Great info, thanks! I'm currently in an Apartment. Fairly new complex. I'd say 5 years old, at the most, but I suppose they could have still used cheap wiring. I'm not sure if I can just ask the cable company to switch stuff out, or if i'd have to contact the apartment complex. If it's a huge hassle, then i'll just have to live with what I have, until we purchase a house.