View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Hey all! I have a big concern about getting my 2010 1SS Camaro. Alright, I've been browsing the net and getting the dyno results from many Camaro SS owners with the automatic(400hp), and I don't know much about cars like many experienced owners, but why is the SS automatic not reaching anything near 400hp on the dyno?

I've heard some say its made with 400hp at the crank, ....but what does that really mean? If I'm buying an 1SS and it's suppose to come with a V8 pushing 400rwhp, how come no one else is actually getting those number on the chart? And how do I get my Hp close to though numbers?
The car makes 400hp at the engine. Once you attach a transmission, a driveshaft, a rear-end, and 50lb tires and wheels to it, a lot of horsepower is sucked up simply trying to turn all of those heavy things. No manufacturer rates thei cars as rear-wheel horsepower, they all rate then as "net" horsepower, which means engine horsepower with the addition of the accessories such as alternator, water pump, etc. Your car will dyno around 310-325ish at the wheels. Don't be discouraged by this number at all, dynoes read differently depending on where they are, who is using it, etc.

Quote:
Also, I was wondering, since my Camaro SS won't be putting out a solid 400hp, would an SS automatic be able to win a race against a Charger R/T /Daytona edition? I heard they come with 368hp,....now I don't know if that's what people will get when they push it out on the track, so if it's anything like the camaro, they'll be getting less than 368?
Honestly, this comparison isn't even fair. You will see so yourself. Your car makes 400hp and weighs roughly 3850lbs. A Daytona/Charger has less hp and weighs 350-400lbs more. Your car has the ability to run a low 13 sec 1/4 mile time bone-stock. Only a 425hp Challenger can come near that, and they are $15,000 more.

Quote:
Oh,....and any solid suggestions on after-market parts I can use to get my Camaro at something around 450 HP? Long-tube headers? Air intake? New exhaust?
My friend Mike at New Era Performance Parts ran his box-stock. It ran a 13.38 at 104. He installed his over-the-radiator cold air kit, a set of headers, and did a tune on the pcm mainly fixing the shift calibrations. He went out and ran a 12.60 at 109. Those 3 mods are still with the stock restrictive cat-back on it. Since then he has installed a VVT cam and a new exhaust but he doesn't have track times yet. Here's a small clip of the car now with the cam:

I am sure it will be in the 11's his next time out. If I had to take a guess at the power level now, i'd say it's an EASY 440-450 at the wheels.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote