Thread: Factory Freak?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #98
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
But then it comes down to the driver and weather conditions........ So they kinda do lie. 1st time at a track I ran a 14.0 my 1st run.......... Every test I see for a 1LE is 12.7-13.1 1/4....... Not 14.0. Tracks have lots of variables. Let me try to launch the hell out of my car........ Clutch goes to the floor..... Or the GoodYears spin..... Or maybe I do everythng 100% right driving and I cut a good 60ft..... Oh my car pulled timing because its 98 degrees in Florida like usual and I only ran a 13.4.

Put the car on a track with a 5000+ DA. All the responses........ Oh man that's slow...... Or on a track with a negative DA..... Man that thing moves! Same with dynos...... Happy dyno...... Big numbers. Not a happy dyno.......not big numbers. Simple as that.

All these oh line them up number blah blah go on a track..... Dyno is the same thing as a track. You see if the mods and money you put into the car is worth it. All dynos and tracks are are measuring tools. How fast can my car really go or how much power can my car really make...... Its all curosity. Really think about that. Why does anybody go to a dyno other than a tune?....... To measure if the mods are worth it. Why do people go to a track other than to just race?....... To see if the mods are worth it.

So maybe OPs dyno was happy....... Maybe it wasn't...... If you put the car on the track all its going to do is spin the tires or maybe OP will throw DRs on. Then what's the DA going to be? Maybe OP can't drive . So never will we get a 100% accurate answer. Even after a DA calculator it won't be accurate. Dynos get their correction factor in there too so that won't be accurate either. All were going to have at this point is a 442hp carmaro SHOULD run this or SHOULD run that..... But then again we have that DA and driver factor. Its like the how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.
You are right. There is no exact science to get the power of a car, but on a drag strip, whether you suck at driving, or make mistakes, it will show up on the time slip. The 60' will be bad if you spin at the line or have a bad launch. The DA can be corrected to 0 feet. The trap speed, though, is the magic number for how much power you have, not necessarily the 1/4 mile time.

My first 5th gen, I had an LS, with just about every bolt on that was available for the car. Long tubes, CAI, corsa catback, ported throttle body, black isolator, tune, etc. I put the car on a dyno and was making the same power as a stock v6 Camaro. Went to the track and I was the fastest v6 Camaro.

edit: and that's just an example of what COULD happen. I'm well aware that you could also get on a dyno and be spot on, to your actual horsepower number.

Last edited by PoorMansCamaro; 03-30-2015 at 11:27 AM.
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote