View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #46
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
Well, looks like duals for sure now. Down here in SoCal track days are often in the 90's. Really appreciate the report though.

On the issue of coolant temps, I can't say definitively it is the case but the ECM is programmed to dial back power through changing timing and fueling events based on coolant temp. Other contributing PID's to dealing with heat might be IAT, knock, and even calculated PIDS. So if I were to guess, you hit the magical combination of parameters that made your ECM pull timing and add fuel to help cool the motor. This would equate to coolant temp coming down and likely you would see that also in your lap times unless you were over-powering your entries before and now your driving has become more fluid with better entry speed and roll through if that makes sense.

Again, big thanks to X25 and OrangeCrush. You're being the guinea pigs is going to save me some time, money and frustration on my build.
You're very welcome, and let us know how it goes!

Regarding using inline thermostat, Michael @ImprovedRacing doesn't think it would make much of a difference:
Quote:
Glad to hear you finally got that sorted out. I guess these cars just need a lot of cooling.

Whether you run the thermostatic adapter or the inline thermostat, I don't think it would make much of a difference. The inline one flows better, but the thermostatic adapter would have a lower pressure drop in bypass mode at low temps because it's closer to the block (so no pressure drop from flow through the lines). The adapter also saves money and weight, and reduces hose ends and connections.

Anyway, this is good info as we now know what it takes to keep these cars in check at the track. When we make our Camaro oil cooler kit we will look into a cooler of similar size.
Regarding coolant temps, FYI, Synner posted this on my build thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
My water temps hit 240-250 a couple sessions in a row. That was still on the dinky 245/275 tires but temps were 95ish. I called it an early day after seeing what my water and oil temps were doing. This was prior to all my cooler upgrades.

228 is right around the 100% on fan setting, that's probably what you're noticing.
From a stock 2010 LS3 tune:
192-210 f. = 24% fan speed
214 f. = 26% fan speed
217 f. = 40% fan speed
221 f. = 51% fan speed
225 f. = 65% fan speed
228 f. and above = 91% fan speed
Regarding timing/power v.s. coolant temps" I do have an uncut version of my last session, and you see the climb of temps around lap 3-4, and the subsequent quick drop in temps. Whatever the case, my trap speeds seem to be pretty constant, making me believe that I do not lose power. I'm wondering if my OEM thermostat gets a bit stuck, and opens all the way only when heated up a bit:
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Last edited by X25; 08-18-2015 at 03:05 PM.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote