View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #41
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
All of those points are valid, but I can't agree on the price. A decent motor built to last is going to take up most of that budget, and your going to want a builder who stands behind his work. Many dont when things go wrong. Those builders that do, have a premium.. OC1le has some experience there that got ugly for a bit when hus tune was off, and the builder blamed him. Another 10K down the drain for a new block and assy using what was salvageable.

The Z will leap frog the performance of your build as soon as you throw a couple of grand into pullies and such. Throw 15K at it and the 1LE will never catch it without turning into a track dedicated car with lots of cost for upkeep.

A maximum build of a 1Le will not match the max build of a ZL1, just as ZL1 maxed out will never match a maxed out Zo6 for different reasons.

Its all about what you want to start and end up and there is no wrong choice. For that matter there are much better cars to enter the world of motorsports than the Camaro.
If I were to choose an Autocross car, the ZL1 is not going to be it, it is just too big in general for most courses catering to smaller cars so I don't bother. My opinion is I want a great car that is not going to break no matter how I use it, I'll take the 300 pound disadvantage and work past it.

You don't have to talk down to me like I am some idiot. I have been involved in motorsports for about 30 years in building and set up aspects so I fully undersatnd many things about weight and how to manage it. I also know how costs run and it is always more. Take OC1LE's build it was at the threshold of choosing a different platform becomming more logical from a cost and headroom, and reliability standpoint. Choosing a jump off point is crucial. If the OP chooses the 1le that is great. I think it is a fantastic car.

BTW what were your last tire pyrometer readings?

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 08-23-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote