View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #22
m1tankr

Drives: '06 Trailblazer SS
[QUOTE=joelster;863568]I like your post but the part I highlighted I sort-of disagree with. As long as the Camaro is winning the shootouts with the journalists, and getting rave reviews about the power in relation to the competition, they (GM) won't change a thing. As soon as a $30,000 'Stang steps up to the plate with 375hp, and the Challenger gets some more power, you can bet your ass GM will tweak and tune the car for some more power, and/or less torque management. I am sure they err on the safe side with their tunes and their calibrations. Every stock GM car I have ever seen being tuned doesn't even hit 12.0-1 AFR. They are all between 11.5-11.8/1, which is a damn joke. I can only imagine how lame the tranny tune is and how much more capable it could be and also safe and not cause a warranty claim.[/QUOTE

You might be right, but as long as they can stick by the LS3, they'll have very little incentive to change the tune on the L99. The comparo's always use manuals. Ford sort of left the game to GM for the numbers comparison. I was surprised they didn't put the 400hp V8 they have developed into the 2010 Mustang. On the GTO's, GM just put the LS2 in and kept the TM conservative. The problem with GM taking some TM out, is the entire drivetrain is tested to certain levels. They need those teams to agree to raise the levels on their parts, and those engineers have no incentive to take on the added risk when it's not their job to make more power. My 05 GTO and TBSS both got much faster when I took out TM or reduced it. Course, I didn't have GM's concerns,just my own.
I'm guessing the Gen V LSX based DI would be their next step. Right now, they're on the top of the numbers game for hp.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote