View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #27
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
OP: You really, really, really should go look at this convertible in person and closely inspect the top AFTER reading up on the convertible forum about what to look for and be aware of.

A CarFax will NOT tell you whether the top has had problems or been repaired. That information MAY be obtained through the (any) GM dealer's service department with a printout of the vehicle's history report if you can provide them with the VIN. IF the work was done at / through a GM dealer (even if it was farmed out to a local shop) and IF it was entered into the vehicle's service history at the dealership (which it should).

I'm NOT CERTAIN whether a certified pre-owned warranty will cover the top and associated components. I *think* it may but that is something you should check with the dealer and SEE IT IN WRITING on the explanation of what the CPO warranty covers (and, remember, that's only good for one year from the purchase date or X miles). That is something you SHOULD absolutely, positively be in-the-know about. Otherwise, if this vehicle has top problems and you're unable to persuade the dealer or GM to assist in getting any top issues repaired, you're potentially looking at paying for any repair(s) yourself, hiring a lawyer and possibly even filing a complaint with the BBB. Either way, it's going to cost you time and cause a lot of aggravation.

A GM extended warranty will NOT cover any portions of the top or its mechanism(s) unless it specifically states that it will (which is highly UNLIKELY) - or the vehicle is under an extended top warranty coverage - of which documentation should exist in GM's database.

As mentioned above, you SHOULD read about all of these things on the convertible forum side. DEFINITELY see the car in person and know what to look for and ask about. If you get a good one, it's an awesome experience. If you get one with problems, it may be a lot of headaches and money out of your pocket and a not-so-good memory every time you consider wanting to own (another) convertible.

If you feel uncertain about that particular vehicle, keep looking. There are plenty of them out there and a less risky option may be the 2013 model year. There are far fewer complaints about their tops than the 2011 & 2012 MY's. However, none of the 5th Gen. MY's are immune from these *potential* problems.

Good luck with your search and please keep us posted on your findings and decision.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote