View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #33
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancaesq12 View Post
I would appreciate any input on this issue.

My 2010 Camaro has a blown engine and I believe it was due to excessive oil consumption. My car has about 82,000 miles and I am out of warranty by time and not mileage. I had just taken my car for an oil change on April 15th and when the car broke down the dipstick showed no oil.
You left out key information in your brief summary that is important as a start for diagnosis:
a) You mention "when" you had the oil changed but there is no mention of how many miles you put on the car since that oil change. "When" makes no difference in this issue ... it is miles driven since the last oil change that matters.

b) How much oil should be put in your v6, per the Owners Manual? Is it six quarts? Did you look at the service record to see if it documents how many quarts they added? Maybe the service department just dumped in one gallon and forgot to top it off ... e.g. not realizing it needed 6 quarts for the Camaro V6?

c) After the engine failure did you drain the pan to see how much oil was left in the engine at that point and time? Information on how much oil actually remained in the engine at the point it failed, is very important. (Also good to save the oil for analysis).

d) What is your "normal" oil consumption history per 1,000 miles? Based on this figure and info from "a", "b", and "c" above you may be able to determine if it would be expected to fail due to low level ... or if there must have been some catastrophic event in the engine that triggered the problem.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote