View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Scrming's Air Intake Experiment - Part II

Well... wasn't quite ready to post this up yet... BUT.. since I kind of let the cat of the bag... here we go....

Since the IAT relocation experiment went so well, I decided to tackle the intake tube.

Now when I first got my car I had asked Scott from MRT what that big appendage on the left side of the intake tube ways since I had really never seen one like that... He explained it was a silencer/resonator. That it's function was to help eliminate intake noise. And as we all know it does a great job! Even with a K&N filter and the stock snorkel off you cannot hear ANY intake noise!

Scott went on to explain that the silencer/resonator works but it does disrupt the air flow going into the throttle which in turn has a negative effect on performance! Since I don't mind the sucking sound I figured I needed to lose the silencer... First thought was to just cut it off... but I backed off that idea....

So one day walking through the auto parts store I happened to see some universal CAI kits and parts... Hmmm... So I decided to buy some of these parts and see if I could put together my own intake tube.... So I bought a handful of stuff and headed home... and this is what I came up with!

SO...

90 degree elbow, vacuum adapter, 45 degree elbow. I had to cut the 45 degree elbow.

Stock vs new...

The stock silencer/resonator... it's like a figure 8...

The hole for the silencer...

And the hole for the pcv connection... again right before the TB...

and now... the new tube installed.

and finally... a little video clip... (listen with your headphones)

BETTER VIEW!

Here's the part list:

Spectre - Air Intake Tube - Part Number: 8698 - $10.00

Spectre - Air Intake Vacuum/Sensor Adapter - Part Number: 8707 - $11.99

Spectre - Air Intake Tube - Part Number: 8738 - $11.99

Spectre - Coupler/Reducer Combo - Part Number: 8771 - $7.99 - This is for the throttle body connection

Ok.... the coupler for the tube to the air box is a RUBBER coupler... I bought the whole thing as a big kit - Spectre 8208. See: http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...GoogleShopping

The 8208 came with a RUBBER coupler, not the more stiff silicone coupler... however with the 8208 you still need the 90 degree elbow....

Also needed a piece of hose... so basically did this for $50... you may be able to find the piece cheaper online... I just bought them at the local part store...

Big day will be Saturday... Car goes on the dyno! It is a "Dyno Day" though so I'll only get a couple of pulls... unlike when I buy my usual dyno time where I get 4 or 5 pulls... Since I like the way this turned out I'm thinking I will just dyno the IAT relocation and new tube all together....

Last edited by scrming; 09-25-2009 at 01:16 PM.
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote