View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yes. ^ This.

No, I didn't...I just didn't clarify...my apologies. In essence, what I was saying is that the airfloil/wing of the ZL1 1LE will generate downforce without resulting in as much drag as the blade spoilers on the Z/28, and Z06. They're about as efficient at creating drag as parachutes.

The TL/DR version:

"Spoilers", and "Wings" function differently from each other. They both can generate downforce, but they go about it differently.

A spoiler disrupts/redirects the airflow over the rear of the car to reduce lift, and in extreme cases, like NASCAR, increase air pressure to the point where it generates downforce. The C7 Z06/Z07 and Gen 5 Z/28 w/ wicker bill function this way.

A wing uses Bernoulli's principal to alter the flow of the air by using an airfoil and surface tension to create an area of high and low pressure on opposite sides of the structure. This differential in pressure creates a force known either as "lift", or "downforce", depending on the orientation of the airfoil/wing. (airplane vs. F1 car) The new ZL1 1LE and super-Vette will function this way.

Relative to each other, the wing is far more efficient at both creating downforce...and doing it without creating as much drag as a spoiler. That's what I meant to say.
Precisely. Airfoil vs Blade-type 'spoiler' are vastly different in disruptive airflow which will affect drag.

Thank you for clarifying your statement.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote