View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
Many of you have talked about how you changed your oil at 500, 1000, or 1500 and the various reasons for doing so, ie: getting rid of metal shavings, switching to conventional, oil being black, etc.

I haven't found any solid information regarding what oil is actually in there from the factory. Just because the engine/manual calls for Mobil 1 doesn't mean they actually put that in as a break-in oil. Maybe they use conventional from the factory for break-in purposes and then want you to use Mobil 1 afterwards, and you guys are changing it for no reason. Maybe there are other additives in the original oil for break-in purposes that if you do an early oil change you are getting rid of.

I'm leaning towards following the oil life monitor for the first change, metal shavings or not.
You just spent $35k on the car...why skimp on an oil change? It's your money and your car, do what you want...I changed mine at 1000 miles...mobil-1 was on sale, $60 w/ filter. Small price to pay for piece of mind just in case there is any crap in there from the break-in (rather change it too early, than too late). I'll change it every spring from here on out.