View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Apparantly, the transmission wasn't the only thing wrong with my car. After getting my transmission rebuilt I was driving home and it was doing a few of the same things (struggling over 3k RPMs and occassional stutters), took it in to be looked at, and dealer said the main bearings were going which would result in needing a new motor. Planning on taking it somewhere else tomorrow for a 2nd opinion. But if it does need a new engine, I hate to say it but it seems like it is time to let the car go. I have had it since a little over 7000 miles and it is now at 145000. Bought in Aug 96 and has lasted me this long. I do hope that tomorrow I get a much better diagnosis from another mechanic though.

Though I realized today how attached I have gotten to the car, it has been a part of the family for quite some time and when the dealer told me it needed a new engine, my eyes started to water but didn't get to the point of full-blown crying.
"(struggling over 3k RPMs and occassional stutters)" not symptoms of bad main bearings, more like weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Is it knocking? If not, don't trust that dealers diagnosis. You probably didn't need a transmission rebuild either. What was it doing?

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote