Thread: Onstar Fail...
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Onstar Fail...

So, yesterday afternoon, I used onstar to try to get directions. The place is called Fantastic Games, but used to be called Fantastic Games & Toys.

I kind of knew where it was, so when I got the initial directions, they seemed a little off. So I called back and asked for the actual address. The address they had put in was a different address from where the actual place was (the address they used was from the old store name, which had changed 5 years ago).

So, I ask if they can google the address since that's where I found the address in the first place. They said they couldn't, and kept searching their database.

By this time I was a little frustrated because this isn't the first time they've totally messed up on the address. I tell the Onstar Rep that I'm pulling out my Android and I just wanted to let him know that if I got directions on the phone faster than him by just saying "Directions to Fantastic Games in Edmonds Washington" to my phone, and it gave correct directions faster than him (a supposed thinking human), that he would be an utter failure.

Lo & behold, the phone correctly understood my query, and correctly gave me directions to the place within about 45 seconds. I made special effort to let the Onstar guy know how bad a failure the he was as the phone was giving directions in the background.

Moral: Unless Onstar updates their database to have current address' and trains their operators to actually know towns here in Washington state...I'm dumping it in 3 months when the free year is up.