View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #77
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
A turbo system is much more complicated. It has to be plumbed into the engine's oil pan for lubrication and depending on the turbo mfg'er, into the engine's coolant system for cooling. There is a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC. Your under hood heat is gonna be higher as you now have a large metal scroll being super heated by exhaust gases.
And unless you get the scroll size matched perfectly to the engine's capabilities you are gonna have lag (too big) or just not make the numbers you want (too small). And it really is irrelevant as the bottom end of our engine's is not gonna like more than 8-10psi, so I would rather have the instant hit from the SC.

The maggie is 100% self contained. It really is a very nice package.
Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Magnuson and we work hand and hand on projects. With that said please allow me to address a few of your statements:

Quote:
A turbo system is much more complicated.
That is subjective – As an example, when installing a turbo, you don’t spend extra money on pulley changes, you don’t need to drill into or install the crank pulley, you do not need to modify the heater hoses and plumbing, you don’t need to plumb hose to and from the heat exchanger (installing the heat exchanger for the Maggie is the same time it takes to install the Intercooler for a turbo.

Quote:
It has to be plumbed into the engine's oil pan for lubrication and depending on the turbo mfg'er, into the engine's coolant system for cooling.
Nope. No piping or drilling of oil pan. Oil drains back into the valve cover. And most turbos these days do not require water cooling.

[QUOTE=hypurone;1942580] a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC.QUOTE]
I agree there is more tubing with the turbo than with a Maggie system but no more than a Paxton, Vortech or Procharger set up and in exchange the discharge temps are way lower on the turbo then the Maggie. Air to air intercooling has a lower discharge temp then a Maggie at boost and cruise

Quote:
Your under hood heat is gonna be higher as you now have a large metal scroll being super heated by exhaust gases.
Nope. The Maggie sits smack in the center of the engine and compressing air makes heat regardless of the device that compresses it. If you have a top mount turbo I agree the Maggie is most likely cooler but twin turbo like the Hellion and TTi/GMS kit will have lower under hood temps than a Maggie for 2 reasons; 1. They are down stream of the stock exhaust manifolds and 2. They is nothing in the engine compartment to make the temp goes up – Naturally at boost the turbos create heat but the air from the turbo is cooled by the huge tubing and heat from the housings is dissipated by the air rush across them at cruise

Quote:
And unless you get the scroll size matched perfectly to the engine's capabilities you are gonna have lag (too big) or just not make the numbers you want (too small)
It is pretty tough to run too small of a turbo when there are twins. Even 2 pewny turbos like 50mm each would make 800hp which is a ton of power – the Hellion turbos are 58mm and the Granatelli turbos are 62mm I can tell you there is no lag on the Granatelli system and looking at the Hellion numbers they don’t lag either. Admittedly the Maggie will make more torque below 2500 rpm

Quote:
And it really is irrelevant as the bottom end of our engine's is not gonna like more than 8-10psi, so I would rather have the instant hit from the SC. The maggie is 100% self contained. It really is a very nice package.
Again I agree the Maggie is nice and as easy to install as any other system. But if you talk about stress on the engine the turbos create les stress because they don’t drive and create crank shaft load. The number speak for themselves – if your goal is 600 rear wheel (100 more than a ZR1) then you can get there for less money with w twin turbo set up and have less stress on the motor because it will take less boost
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote