View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #22
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Too heavy and it's not mass produced. Not to mention the casting core shift concerns.

The aluminum LS block is more than capable. Is the block a weak link in the 638 hp LS9? No.

Take an LS3 - bigger cam, better valve train components, fully forged rotating assembly, better exhaust manifolds (LS7 style), dual mode exhaust, factory CAI... fix the weak links - timing chain tensioner, oil pump, rockers, p/s pump ... that would be the perfect Z28 motor.
Add factory shorty headers and get rid of the manifold and maybe use the LS9 heads for the lighter valvetrain. I had heard that the LS3 heads were better than the LS9's but I find that hard to believe. Also, The LS3 and LS9 use different size head bolts, so if you use LS9 heads you need to cast the LS3 block with smaller bolt holes or recast the LS9 heads with smaller bolt holes. There is the option to just transplant as many of the LS9 head internals as you can to the LS3 head. I would have to look at the LS9 head specs again to see if it could be done...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote