View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Steve83ta

Drives: 1998 Trans Am / 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedestech View Post
I don't get to Montvale much, I'm in Ohio and we go to Chicago, but Montvale is a nice training facility! The Autel is around $1800 and will absolutely do everything the Solus will do. Actuations are even provided for most canned components/modules (roll windows up/down, lock doors, turn on lights etc..). See if one of your tool guys are a dealer and will let you try one before you buy it. We have a solus at work for non smart/benz/sprinter vehicles, and I actually prefer the Autel over the Solus. It is wireless also so it can print to a networked printer and updates are also done wirelessly (and are free for a year!)

Our new FTS is from your area, Bob Ulanawicz..I'm the shop foreman at Mercedes-Benz of Bedford near Cleveland.
I never got to go to Chicago, it didn't make much sense because of my location. Spent a number of times up at Montvale, Jacksonville, and I was an Elite grad way back when the program was a GREAT program before it was butchered. I went though the Orlando FL Campus back in '05.

Montvale is a very nice training facility! Have you ever been there? You should see MBUSA's server farm, its nuts, like something you see right out of a movie.

Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for, Ill see if I can get a test run from one of my 3 tool guys. I've spent so much time with my head in the Star Compact 3 and 4's I haven't really had the need or use for equipment that wasn't specifically for Benz. Also because of what they can do via CAN I've become used to very specific data. I don't have the need for a scanner to tell or give me a definition of a generic code, like most really well trained technicians I can tell just by looking at actual values. I want to be able to see eveything, as well as bidirectional control from from engine emission activations to control modules through out a vehicle. Weather its a transmission control module, ABS, and so on. I know the more you get the more you have to pay, but the snap on ones Ive looked into are not what Im looking for, the closest was an OTC unit, that was reasonable, but that demo was 2 years ago when we were looking to purchase it for the shop for Certified Non Benz cars.

I think I've met Bob once or twice. I spent a lot of my time with Merceds-Benz of Devon in Pennsylvania, Euro Cars bought them so its now under their banner.

Thanks for you help
Steve
Steve83ta is offline   Reply With Quote