View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
Zee-Ell-One
YOOZ GOTA B FREKN KIDN ME

Drives: 2013 6mt ZL1#826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
I currently own a 2012 ZL1 (VIN #1526) that has been to Hell and back. After weeks in the shop, a motor replacement, and over $17,000 in repairs, I finally have an answer as to why oil kept leaking... a $0.40 rubber grommet.

I have been posting on this issue for quite some time (refer to the forum "Serious ZL1 Defects"), but thought it may be helpful to start a new forum to better share this issue with other Camaro enthusiasts that may run into this problem.

I'll try to keep this brief. After following the break-in period per the owner's manual, I ran my ZL1 into high engine RPM's (5-6,000). After driving it awhile I started smelling burning oil, and to my surprise, could see oil puddling under the car. My ZL1 was in and out of the shop for over a month with the Service Technician trying to diagnose the problem. Rendering the fourth attempt and consulting numerous engineers, the oil leak was due to a mis-punched grommet. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's that there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs.

Thank you again to those that provided me with feedback and support throughout this tremendous headache. I hope no one else encounters this issue; however, if someone does, please don't hesitate to communicate it with the rest of us here on the forum.
Hey Cam. Thank you so much for all of your time invested so that we could all be informed. So how exactly did you get the grommet information? Did GM provide you with this explanation?
The statement highlighted in red "oil leaked past the main seal in both motors at high RPM" Both motors? So was there another documented case of the same issue? I want to check this grommet on day one when I take delivery. Would love to see the part in a picture or a part number. I guess if you see light thru it, it should be good ya? Thanx again..
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 L86 Crew Cab
2012 Aprilia RSV4 R
2015 Husqvarna FC450 Motomadness
First Car: 1973 Dodge Charger 340 Magnum 4MT Factory Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Zee-Ell-One is offline   Reply With Quote