View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #39
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
????? when did they pull VR1? I haven't looked lately but I know you can still buy it online.

I'm still running M1 5w-30 on this car but my internals are all stock. I'm starting to wonder if I should change to something else next time. VR1 would be my choice if I do.

I've just recently started running VR1 in my '69 after reading about all the oil issues.
Until you cam it I'm sure you will be fine. Just use a good filter and change both more often than OEM recommends. I think Pennzoil Platinum Ultra would work well on a stock cam and be better than normal full synthetic M1. I think the off the shelf M1, Castrol, Pennzoil and other PREMIUM full synthetic 5W-30 oils are a good oil for a stock cam as they do have very good film strength but they seriously lack in the ZDDp. Not really their fault as the Government made them do this. The ZDDP content is what is needed for aftermarket cams with aggressive lifts and fast/aggressive lobe ramp rates. The ZDDP additive is interesting and I wonder if it works like it should. That way you could use a inexpensive oil like Pennzoil Platinum Ultra which has great film strength and get the ZDDP levels correct as well. Thing is I have no idea if they work as directed. Case in point octane boosters. Only like 2 out of tens of those actually work as directed.