Thread: Coated headers
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #23
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Is coating needed on a 304 grade stainless steel?...no. Does it help? ... yes. I had mine coated and am glad because of how new they look even though they are a year old. It will also help keep underhood temps down later when i get a PD supercharger. It will not help a 304 SS header last longer. A 304 SS header will last forever because of what it is made of not because of the coating. That is why it is not needed but is a plus to do. It is however a must do for anyone getting a mild steel header. Even then the coating will come off and the header will rust and fall apart. The heat coming off a mild steel header is so great that coating is a must for that reason as well.

The short simple answer is if you are getting a quality header made of 304 SS then it is not needed but a plus on looks and underhood heat. If you are getting a mild steel header then it is a for sure must do mod.