View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm breaking mine in with measured run-ups in 2nd gear and then backing off the gas and letting the engine slow down the car with engine braking. I changed the oil and filter at 65 miles to clear out the metals and junk that were in there from assembly at the plant. I switched to non-synthetic to aid in the break-in and because I'm going to change it again at 1500 miles. The synthetics are too good and can actually interfere with engine break-in and rings seating properly.

Another reason for changing the oil and filter at 65 miles was to make sure I wasn't circulating those metals and stuff through the engine and everything else while breaking in the engine. At 1500 miles I'll change to a synthetic; break-in will be done by then.
I have done this EVERY time on the vehicles i have owned including motorcycles, it's honestly IMO the best way to do it. I flogged the car for 250miles and changed the oil...then been easy on it since for the drivetrain, just changed the oil today at 1500miles...

Good to go now...engine is strong and drive train feels spot on.