View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
10 2SS/RS 6M

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 bone stock 9K miles
The easiest way to grease your knuckle bushins without removing them

If you have upgraded your rear trailing arms or have just replaced the bushings with polyurethane bushings on the knuckle, they have to be greased (see pic w/bushing on pin) this was about a year and the half without nothing but the installation grease that came with the bushings and trailing arms.
I drilled a 1/16'' hole in the center of the knuckle where the two poly bushings meet inside the knuckle, I drilled a small hole to keep the strength of the knuckle, then dilled a 1/4'' wide hole about a 1/4'' deep to thread the grease fitting in, I threaded a 90 degree grease fitting on the knuckle due to the style of the trailing arms.
Now I can grease the knuckle bushings without removing the trailing arms, I don't have to even remove the wheels now.
I just thought I'd share this if anyone else would like to try this easy method of greasing these bushings, you see in the picture what happens if you don't grease them! And what happens when you use the wrong grease! >>>And your car should be aligned any time the trailing arms are removed!
I'll also explain how all this came to boot. I was having movement from the toe links that I all bought from BMR, now I'm not downgrading BMR at all. They actually helped me out a lot, they replaced all the bushings at no charge, even the knuckle bushings, and I'm glad they did because I wasn't going to replace that bushing due to I have never used a petroleum based grease on them, but with no grease and weather you get wear and rust as seen in the picture, but I plan on keeping all these bushings greased well, I been using this synthetic grease called SuperLube from BMR all is good now. I still don't like IRS's for drag racing but I'm not putting a solid axle under there either, so I got a lot of work to do still!
Thanks BMR!
Attached Images

SLP- long tube headers, hi flow cats w/full SLP 3'' PowerFlo exhaust incl/X-pipe, 160 degree stat, SLP Blackwing CAI. Dyno tuned by ECS-407/409RWHP&TQ. BMR- trailing arms w/poly knuckle bushings, toe links, cradle bushings and differential bushings. QA1 rear lower control arms. Hurst short throw shifter, SS- level 4 axles, DSS- aluminum driveshaft, Pfadt- sport 1.5" rear sway-bar. SPOHN 1.25" front sway-bar. Monster LT1-S twin clutch. Prothane motor mounts. Best 1/4 mile so far- 12:70ET @ 112.24 MPH w/ 2.06 second 60'.
SOLD.

Last edited by 10 2SS/RS 6M; 09-30-2013 at 09:43 PM.
10 2SS/RS 6M is offline   Reply With Quote