View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
ok, so ive been following this site for about a month now, and i keep seeing these links that say "track/follow your camaro order", and my question is, and keep in mind im only 18, dont own my own car, know anything about insurance/legal stuff thats involved with a car purchase, and i dont even have a license, but how exactly do you order a camaro? dont you buy cars from a local dealership, not requiring you to follow it since you know where its at? my only thought is that you can go to a dealership and request exactly what you want your camaro to be. if someone could give me insight to this, it would be much appreciated. again, please excuse my lack of age and experience in life and vehicles
First, welcome to the forum.

As far as ordering a Camaro...

#1- find a dealer that doesn't start off by giving you a tube of vaseline and telling you about a "market adjustment" on the price. There are many dealers who are at MSRP and below.

#2- make sure the dealer you choose has ALLOCATION. That means, Chevy actually will allow him to order the car. Many dealers don't have any allocation left; they can take and process the order but until GM "gives them the opportunity" (allocates a vehicle to them) to actually submit the order for production, nothing will happen. You can't sell apples if the farmer won't give you any.

#3- RESEARCH exactly what you want and know before you step foot into a dealer. Do you want a V6? V8? Leather and all the goodies? Stripes?

#4 Build the car on chevy.com to be sure you know what MSRP (window sticker price) should be.

That's really all there is to ordering it. Keep in mind that most people have traditionally simply gone to a dealer and bought a car off the lot; not so in this case. Now as far as when/why to track it? The average dealer is going to tell you somewhere between 8-10 weeks for delivery. That 8-10 weeks becomes something that drives most people crazy in the interim. You'll want to call your dealer a couple times a week to see if your car's EVENT CODE (built status) has changed- that'll drive them nuts. That's why you see threads here like the one from "The Viz" where he updates your event code for you when you request it or the "built and bayed" thread by Larry (2010 SS RS) that sends you to www.camarotracking.com once your car has been built and you have a VIN, to track the delivery from the factory to your dealer.