View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibroni View Post
Seems odd they would use the TW5 sub. It's a 13" sub and retails for $599./ea. 6 to 8" is enough for the usual sub they use in a stealthbox, the W3. Not to call bullshit but I have to think they're using a pair of 10W3's. Then again the C5 speakers in the door also retail in the $500 range. Which makes me wonder why they wouldn't use the HD900amp which is just as small as the XD700 yet puts out almost twice as much power. Using those top of the line speakers it almost doesn't make sense to not use the better amp. I also didn't know the C5 could be converted into a coaxial like their C2 unless they are just using the C5 woofer. Boston also makes some of the best car speakers on the market so I can see why JL wouldn't bother to replace the tweeters. I still can't see them putting that stealthbox on the market @ $2000. I could very well be wrong but I was just trying to tie together what I saw as inconsistencies. Congrats to you on the system. JL Audio systems are the best of the best.
Definitely no B.S.- however the speaker type (especially the subs) could have changed, my note taking could have been bad, etc... in all honesty, I'm not 100% sure what subs are in there... basically, they took my car and after week 1, I got a call with what they were putting in, then the first set of pix posted came from JL as they were building/installing. Now, I tried taking notes on what they said was going in; that may have changed, or I may have written something wrong- my car was at their facility another 2 weeks from that call. I've been out of the stereo game for about 10 years... that being said, if you look at the 2nd pic- that clearly shows the door speaker and the 3rd, in the top right, you'll see the sub they modeled the boxes around. I know for sure they used 2- 10" subs, both were the compact, 2.5" thick which I believe they said were TW5- could be wrong, not betting my life on it...dont even know if it was a prototype sub just for this application...I know they wanted my car pretty badly to build it, and in the end, the sound is AMAZING!

So I could be wrong on some of the model #s, that's why I tried to post the best pix to illustrate everything. The stealth boxes are actually mounted into the car, so I'm not disassembling them just for pix. Keep an eye out for the updated JL catalog.....the white Vert modeling the new stealth box should look very familiar!

update: I did a little research online since I read/responded, here's the link to the 3D video rendering JL did:

http://www.hs.facebook.com/video/vid...70522&comments

And, the subs are 10W1v2's, per the video- so yeah, things may have changed, or I miswrote something, or it's changed since the vid was made... dunno. Definitely doesn;t look like what was being fitted in the pic... but the vid gives a pretty good look at the 360 tour of the box. Final product is carpeted though in black (unless that's just for my prototype) Hope that clearifys aa little

Last edited by Drago77; 07-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote