View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
LSxcellent, I would love to do what you suggest, but they don't quite fit into what I need to do. This is for my engineering design thesis and I am taking the mechatronics option for mechanical engineering. Basically that means that I have to incorporate programing and electronics into some mechanical application. I may be able to do it, I will have to talk to faculty members to see if I am allowed

All in all, it looks like it may still be possible to do something with this but I only use it as a back-up idea. Thanks for all the input
Yup. This is what I thought... my degree is Electromechanical Engineering (double in Electrical & Mechanical). I know exactly what your up against... I had to do a very similar design thesis for my program as well.

Just to put a bug in your ear... think of my idea this way:

-The mechanical aspect is the electric motor & gears that drive the turbo
-The electrical component is measuring injector duty cycle & throttle position or designing a circuit to do this from the outputs of the ECU
-The programming is setting the turbo-spool-up program into the motor controller so that the turbo spools up at the correct rate for the throttle position and speed, as well as custom tuning to the engine ECU.
--You could also set this up as a 'user selectable' boost system, where you could map the turbo wastegate, turbo-spooler, etc into a seperate controller.

Just tossing ideas your way...

~LSx