View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker13 View Post
One, and Im not saying this completly justifies it, but one of the reasons diesel is more expensive now, is beacuse we have moved on to ultra low sulfer diesel. One of the things that the sulfer did for the engine was lubricate it. Now to make up for the lack of sulfer, there are addititves that need to be added that did not need to be before. Add that to the cost, and we get prices higher than normal. I agree however that it does seem to be much higher than it should be now.

However the cost of diesel is offset by the economy that it can provide. For an extra dollar a gallon, you can go another 15-20 miles per gallon. When you look at it that way, it just makes sense.
Well you have a good point about the additional MPG's, but this ultra low sulfur Diesel has been a standard since 2007 right? I remember Diesel costing more than gasoline long before 2007.

You also have to pay a premium for that Diesel engine. What does the Diesel engine option usually go for? About $2000-$5000 more over a gas engine? Sometimes even more thanks to the additional emission equipment needed. So the time to make that money back might even be more.

Now the final and most important question, will a Diesel V8 make the Camaro as fast as the LS3/L99 equipped Camaro's? I know Diesels have advanced greatly over the past 20-30 years but that doesn't mean all Diesels are rockets, some are still slow snails.