View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Well you have a good point about the additional MPG's, but this ultra low sulfur Diesel has been a standard since 2007 right? I remember Diesel costing more than gasoline long before 2007.

You also have to pay a premium for that Diesel engine. What does the Diesel engine option usually go for? About $2000-$5000 more over a gas engine? Sometimes even more thanks to the additional emission equipment needed. So the time to make that money back might even be more.

Now the final and most important question, will a Diesel V8 make the Camaro as fast as the LS3/L99 equipped Camaro's? I know Diesels have advanced greatly over the past 20-30 years but that doesn't mean all Diesels are rockets, some are still slow snails.
they do cost more over a gasoline engine, and rightfully so, you arent getting just a motor, you are getting a turbo'd motor. imagine the price on a gasoline V-8 with a turbo from the factory. but to offset some of that cost, look at the fact that you can nearly double your MPG ratings. it might take a little bit of time to counter the price, but diesels are generally longer lasting engines by design due to the way they work and the way they are built to run. which means less maintenance as well. and turbo diesels respond so well to tuning. go look at the Banks "six-shooter" setup for diesels, an extra 250 lb-ft of torque and 100 hp from just a tune... re-freaking-diculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
they are the same size because they use a narrow angle V8 configuration but they will still be heavier considering thier Steel/graphite alloy blocks
yes and no. they are heavier than aluminum blocks, (and stronger too), but they are lighter than traditional steel blocks.

i dont know exactly how much it weighs but GM reps have said they are shaving weight at every point they can to allow the use of this motor in vehicles other than trucks without having to substantially change the suspension on the vehicle.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote