View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
First, I ALWAYS drive in PTM modes. I wish it was an option to have ptm auto on.
The wet mode is very, very excellent in the wet. Seriously. When you are in a turn, tip toeing through, use PTM1 and then, mid corner, mash the gas - the car will stay in line and you will hear the exhaust sputter as the car manages torque to the ground. If you use PTM1 during dry driving and try the same thing, the car will stumble over itself midcorner and be embarrassingly sloppy.
I normally drive in PTM 2 on rough, poorly maintained road or highway. The suspension is nice and soft and if I get too stupid in a high G corner, the car will, again, make the sputtering sound out of the exhaust and stay in the cornering line.
PTM 3 is rarely used for me.
PTM 4 is fun mode. Unlike PTM1,2,3 which will cut your power if you try to abuse the tires with abrupt steering changes or trying to drift the rear, the PTM4 mode will almost let you do anything, while the PTM4 suspension settings are great at controlling body roll.
PTM5 is great fun as well. But, it will let the car go much more sideways, scary when you didn't mean to do it. Does let loose, but it also saves you if you get too crossed up. and suspension is HARD. Wife dislikes the ride in PTM 4 and hates the ride in PTM 5.

As far was dragging or launching:
PTM 1 Not really useful. Cuts the power big time if wheels spin and won't give it back right away. Launch control does work in the rain and actually is the fastest you will ever take off wet road.
PTM 2 Will suck for launching if you didn't use the launch control (without launch controll, too much wheel spin will cause complete cut off of power for a second or two - embarrassing).
PTM 3 - No really use for me
PTM 4 - Launches are good without launch control and great with launch control.
PTM 5 - You are free to launch however you want, but launch control usage on the street is not very efficient (lots of wheel spin)

Last thing I have noticed is the when you change between modes that change the suspension, the change will be drastic at first and then soften up. Especially when changing from any mode to mode 5, the shocks get super hard and then soften a second later. I guess GM wanted us to feel that there was actually a change.

So I mostly drive in PTM 2 and PTM 4. 2 for rough and 4 for smooth or when wanting to rail through a corner at 1G.
Cool review. Most people forget that the power assist changes too. More assist in the lower modes and less in the higher modes.

I personally use Tour for day to day as I cannot tell the difference from Mode 2 and one less button to press driving around. Rain is Mode 1 all the way. Sport driving is Mode 4 for me too. Mode 5 is fun but rough on most streets and if you get a little crazy or the road is not perfect you can become a statistic pretty easy.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote