View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
DMC1805

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Here we go, day two.

So now the parts have all been wrapped and are ready to be coated with resin.

After mixing up my resin, which is a 2:1 ratio of resin to harder, I give the pieces a coat.

The carbon fiber really soaks up the resin and you can hardly tell that there is anything on the parts. I let the resin tack up between coats. Meaning I let the resin get sticky, not wet, but not totally dry. Also, when adding the resin, sometimes air bubbles will show up. To pop the air bubbles, I use a hair dryer set to hot and slowly go over the pieces. The hot air naturally pops the bubbles.

After a second coat:

After a third coat:

And a fourth:

Finally after five coats, the resin beginning to really cover the fiber evenly. It is still not complete, as you can see some waviness, but it is 12am now and I am going to call it a night. Tomorrow I will add another coat or more. After that I will let the resin cure until next weekend, when I will then smooth it and finally clear coat it.

I hope this is inspiring to some of you. By the way, I began doing tonight's work at about 9pm and as I said earlier, I wrapped up at 12am. Last weekend I spent about two hours prepping the parts and applying the fiber to them. So in all now five hours of work and I would estimate about $40-$45 in materials.