View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
wow I'm amazed at the fast and positive response here.

Well he was very concerned about keeping his warranty safe. He babies the car. His car was there having a cat back put in. They talked him into coming back for a cold air and a tune. He was only worried about if it could void his warranty. They told him that if the car has to go in for warranty work to bring it back and they'll put the stock tune back on and the dealer will never know. Which I believe to be bs, as I am almost positive the camaros have a reflash memory. Fast forward, the car gets tuned and the tuner tells him since the car only has 900 miles that he can't get all the power out of the tune, and to come back for a retune once some more miles are on the car. Also the guy trades out wheel horse for crank at random when talking numbers, he had my uncle convinced he would be making 480-490 wheel horse with full exhaust and another tune.

Yeah a couple things sound sketchy there... but it sounds like we might be playing 'hearsay'. Were you there during any of these exchanges, or are you getting all this via your uncle?

(Edit: I suck at spelling!)

First, it sounds like your uncle would benefit taking you with him the next time he takes his car to that shop. Based on the HP statement, it sounds like you could have cleared that up, if you were there.

Second, the function on this board can really be your friend. Lots of threads about everything you are concerned about. Play with it some... it works well once you learn how to use it properly.

Third, you are correct... a tune will technically void a warranty... although this will all come down to the dealer, what you disclose to him, and what testing the dealer may do to check for warranty voiding modifications.

Lastly, as for having a tune done after more miles... that sounds about right. The car does "grow up", and it may make sense to take it back in for re-tuning after you've broken it in.

My $0.02.

Grats to your Uncle (hope he lets you drive it)!
And Welcome!

Last edited by 5thGenOwner; 01-26-2010 at 03:05 PM.
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote