View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #82
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Only in America do people think they need an F-350 to two a tiny little load. The problem is, for a long time we've had so much that we never felt the need to match the execution with our needs. That's why cars in America won't have nearly the tow-rating their counterparts abroad do. The manufacturers know no one will use the product to tow but instead will get the biggest truck they possibly can, so they have no incentive to produce meaningful tow ratings. The only thing that concerns me then is the liability issue. Sure it physically can, but if it legally "can't", then liability could come back to bite you hard.

Fortunately, I was looking at the new Equinox to replace our Taurus wagon in a few years (shame there are so few good wagons out there, much better than an SUV or CUV) and V6 models can be equipped with a tow package from the factory rated to 5,200 lbs. That's more than enough to tow a tent-trailer or a couple wave-runners. (Clue I'm not a typical overkilling American - I'd prefer to camp in at most a small tent trailer rather than an RV.)
We used an F250 to tow my Camaro home .