View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
Oil life is partially monitored in the ECM. If you swap ECM’s you have to re-program the remaining oil life into the new one if you want this feature to remain accurate. Re-flashing the calibration does not change the oil life feature. It gets the mileage reading from the IPC (instrument panel cluster).

the mileage is partially stored in the ECM for the OLMS. if it wasnt, then when you pulled the battery, you would lose your readings for the
OLMS. once again, it comes down to a warranty issue, IE driving OVER the OLMS "change oil" for 5,000 miles then resetting it after a change as if you did it when you were supposed to. While its what we call a "coarse" odometer value (a value used purely for calculations and not as accurate as the "fine" odo display on the IPC) it IS an Odometer none the less that HAS been used in warranty disputes for customer neglect.

the ECM retains the oil life reading (and the coarse odometer) even if you swap it into a vehicle with MORE miles on it. How would this "theory" work since the same ECM is used in the G6 (08+ 3.5L) where the odometer is stored in the BCM not the IPC....
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote