View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #495
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay, I still think I am not doing badly for being on vacation. I brought my dumbells & leg weights & have worked out some. Yesterday no resturants & today only supper at Ruby Tuesday. I had Broiled salmon & grilled zuccini. AND I found a weight scale (HoMedics Tony Little's Body Express) that calculates % body fat, water & muscle mass as well as daily calorie predictor; and a digital caliper (Warrior Digital Body Mass Caliper) that that does the first 3. Both were on clearance at Tuesday Morning. Okay I tried them both when I got home. I know it was probably not the ideal time to try them out but wanted to try them when I got home. It was probably about an hour after we ate. I am not confident of the calipers yet, I suspect there is a learning curve to doing that correctly. It checks in 3 places. On the scales it said I was 28.0 fat, 54.7 water, 26.6 muscle & 2809 daily calorie predictor. The reading that fell the closest to this on the calipers was 28.9 body fat. I also brought my Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle Book & have been reading on it. I have to tell you I have a mental block when it cames to numbers so when it starts talking numbers I get lost in it pretty quickly or my brain just shuts down. It will take me a while reading it over & over & thinking about it & going back before I get all that stuff. But I am trying. Okay so what do these numbers mean (flawed as they may be)? Oh Yeah, & if you must know, I am 55 yo, 156 lbs right now & 5' 5" tall.

The calipers do have a learning curve, even when being measured by pro's, results can vary. The thing is is to be consistant with where and how you measure that way a comparison can be made. Also you should measure at the same time, preferably in the am before consuming anything as it can have an effect on the measurements. I'm not sure where it came up with the calorie intake as that is rather high especially for fat loss.

In a nut shell the numbers mean you are carrying around 45 lbs of body fat.

There are a lot of formulas and numbers in the book so don't stress over them. The thing you need to know is what you are doing and why and that book covers it very well. The numbers most important are what your calorie, carb, protein and fat intake should be and then construct a diet that meets the requirements.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote