View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
You have provided some good points. My thoughts/responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Very sorry to say this but the StopTech kits like what Nathan Merino has on his project car is the proper brake upgrade.
Nathan has either an unlimited budget and/or connections. A quick Google search indicates the Stoptechs are $2461.00 for the front kit. It is more than double the CTS-V 6-piston kit with 2-piece rotors.

Quote:
I realize that larger rotors carry more weight in front than what I desire.
Yes, weight is the enemy! Both the stock Camaro SS rotors and the 09-12 CTS-V dual cast rotors weigh in the 25lb range. The 2-piece 2013+ V/ ZL-1 rotors are 27.x lbs (+ 2 lbs per side)

Quote:
DBA 5000 current updated rotors at 21 lbs each similar weight to the StopTech rotors.
I used DBA rotors on my EVO when I raced. They are very nice, but at (A Google price of ) $451 per and $902 for a set they may also be cost prohibitive to some people for just rotors.

I was able to sell my stock red 1LE calipers front and rear (rotors, pads, lines) for $900 and for $500 more ($1400 total) I have the 6 piston front brake set/up, 2 piece rotors, braided lines, new fluid and matching rear calipers (my labor).....For me it was the way to go.

Quote:
I noticed that with lighter front rotors the front end turns in better and easier at speeds, the car becomes more neutral with less rotational mass in front.
Agreed that lighter is better. But rotational mass is greater if the mass is farther from the axis of rotation (hub). I will spend the money on a smaller and lighter wheel tire combo as this will have a greater effect than the rotor. If anyone can do both, even better.

Quote:
I would try Brembo 6 pot calipers and DBA 5000 front rotors but those calipers are twice as expensive at $2000 calipers alone.
The CTS-V Brembo 6-pots can be purchased for $250 each on amazon. Here is the thread I created with all of the info:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348133

Quote:
I still believe in the more rotor material more room for heat in which larger diameter rotors win but on tracks where we won't see higher speeds the 14" rotors should still work.
The first thing any stock brake system needs (after DOT 4 fluid) is a set of brake ducts to direct cool air to the rotors. If we can add more material (without additional weight) even better. The 14" SS brake package works very well stock (with proper fluid) and even better with some air flow, proper pads and lighter rotors.

I have an acquaintance that is in the high performance brake division at GM. Based on information that was shared with me I made a cost effective choice with the best bang for the buck performance.......but it might not fit everyone's needs

-Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 06-02-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote