View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #57
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Never have and never will...two very different things maybe.

This is the "new" GM in a time of economic trouble. Back in the "good" days...GM could afford to overlook violations of warranty terms (way back you were happy to have 12months/12,000 miles...then we increased all the way up to 36months/36,000 miles and warranty costs increased)...now we are at 5yr/100,000 miles...so we KNOW that warranty costs are going to go up. One way to control costs is to deny warranty claims that are in violation of terms.

I'm not against tuning or any other modification to cars...I just think the average newbie is being misled by many companies when they say "nah, this won't void your warranty-Magnuson/Moss covers ya" or "just pull the tune out before you take it in." That's all well and good in a perfect world, but I think everyone, including GM, is operating a little more aware of their surroundings after the last year.

For the record, I'm not saying any sponsors of this forum are misleading customers. There are quite a few "tuners" out there that don't know their *ss from an OBDII connector...One in Oklahoma isn't in business anymore thank goodness! These are the tuners that are really risking their customer's money.

I do think it would be smart for any tuner doing what I'd call "basic" tunes for cars with no other modifications (looking for that 'free' horsepower we all know is there from the factory) to inform their customers that this could result in a voiding of their powertrain warranty. I'd think in today's litigious society it would be good sense.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote