View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
I still don't buy it...

Even though Motortrend.com is saying the new CTS-V is going to have a supercharged LS7, I just don't buy it. It doesn't make much sense.

The LS7 is bored out as far as possible to get as many cubes into it as possible, and it is designed as a naturally aspirated engine. The CTS-V is going to be supercharged, which changes EVERYTHING about the engine design... I just don't think the LS7 is the right way to go.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the Corvette Z07, the CTS-V, and the Camaro Z28 will all use a supercharged version of the 6.2L LS3 block reinforced for supercharged-duty. This makes a LOT more sense to me.... why?

-The cylinder walls need to be thicker for forced intake engines due to much higher cylinder pressures, the LS7 is bored out too far to support these loads (IMHO).

-The LS7 is already at the limit of its design, it is derived from the C6R racing program which forced them to use a NA engine (due to racing rules). The LS3 is not constrained by this so it would be easier to design in the right supports.

-The supercharger needs to be integrated into the engine valley, the LS7 is already a pretty big engine and I don't know if there is enough room.

-The LS7 is an EXPENSIVE engine due to its use of Titanium connecting rods, forged pistons, etc... I think its TOO expensive for general use in all of these other platforms (Cadillac & Camaro).

That all being said, I would be PSYCHED if they figured out a way to do it... I think the LS7 is one of the best engines on the planet and I would ABSOLUTELY buy one if it were offered in the Camaro!

Either way, GM powertrain engineers are just freaking nuts... 600hp in a Caddy?! SURE! 700hp Corvette?! WHY NOT! I LOVE IT!

All I want is a 600hp Camaro and all will be right with the world!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote