View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #379
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Hey guys, i get a lot of PM's each week asking about if I painted my cover, where i got the stuff, and how i did it.. im posting an email that i reply with.. hopefully this can help everyone and maybe keep my inbox cleaner.

Yes, i painted it a while ago. I ordered the paint from Paintscratch.com. The RJT is different from the other paints, and more expensive because its a tri-color paint, base coat/mid coat/clear coat and most colors are only two, base and clear.

First, i wet sanded the entire engine cover with 800 and 1000 grit sand paper, then cleaned it off with a mild soap and water solution, rinsed with fresh water and dried very thoroughly.

Then, I sprayed 2 coats of plastic adhesive promoter. can buy at wal-mart, auto zone.. etc. let it dry for a few minutes.

Then, i sprayed 2 - 3 layers of primer, i wet sanded between each layer, cleaned it off with water, and let dry before doing next layer.

If doing more then one color of paint, for example red and black, mask off the bigger area first with painters tape and trim off the excess with a razor.

Lay the coats of paint, i did 3 light, even layers from side to side. and wet sanded in between coats, cleaned with fresh water and thoroughly dried before putting on next layer. dont sand the top coat.

after it is fully dried, after a day or so, tape off the area you just painted, and paint the areas that havent been painted yet, the same way. wet sand and clean in between coats as well to give it a nice smooth surface.

Then, hit it with 2 or 3 layers of clear coat, wet sand and clean in between layers, dont sand the top coat. when the top coat is throughly dry, after a day or so, use a mild rubbing compound and buff to a glossy shine using a 100% cotton cloth or buffing pad..

Make sure you mask the areas off if you are using more then one color, or dont want any paint at all on that area.

prep work determines everything, clean it off, use some alcohol. paint in light even coats, dont try to finish the whole thing in one coat.

The 312HP decals i found on Ebay at this store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-312HP-DECALS-TWO-PAIR-TWO-SIZES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cad317397QQitemZ26060 3736983QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

I think its the best price around, and you get 4 decals instead of 2.

I hope this helps, and if i happened to miss anything, feel free to chime in!