View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
audiomikej

Drives: the wife crazy talking Camaros
Okay junk punch, watch out before I give you a piston slap
Let me try again.
PD roots
Edelbrock E-Force, low end torque king, great for low boost stock LS engines, great for the street. Cons: the long intake runners will start to be restrictive if you want to turn up the boost.
Magnacharger, great starter supercharger, most versatile, widest operating range, great for the street. It will bolt right up to a stock LS motor and perform great. Proven 100k+ mile durability. If you want to add a big cam, heads, or stroke you can spin to 18,000 RPM. Cons: None, other than 800 HP is the top and a few oil leaks.
Twin Screw
Whipple, a little bigger than the first two. Need fuel upgrades from the start. Can make more power than first two with other engine mods. Lower IATs than first two while under boost. Cons: A little less efficient than first two under ~5000 RPM in low boost mostly stock applications.
KB, For those who like sucking in the rear. Cons, heat soak in stop and go traffic, smaller support base.
Lysholm, For those who want a Lysholm Pros: good belt rap. Cons: cannot spin as fast as Maggie, history not as strong as the others.
Centrifugal
Small Procharger, Vortech/Paxton. Great for those who want to upgrade later to a big Centri. Easier to hook at the strip. Can run a little more boost safely on a stock bottom end because the torque curve starts later. Simple Air-Air intercooler, do not have to mess with IC pumps. Lowest cost to start out. Easier to add alky meth systems. Separate belt so if you break a belt you can still drive home. Cons: narrower power band than PD. Centri owners are mental! You must be wired a little different to own a centri. If you have specific technical questions about centri it is tough to get answers.
Big Procharger, Vortech/Paxton, drag strip king, can go into the thousands of HP. Easier to tune and run than turbo. Cons: will throw a belt if you let off too quickly.
Turbo for those who want turbo(s)
Cons for all of the above F/I over N/A heat soak. In road racing (20 min sessions) and stop and go traffic, watch for heat soak.

Better? What did I miss? I know some would prefer the way a certain F/I sounds over another. For me I think they all sound great!

Last edited by audiomikej; 08-16-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: fixed font
audiomikej is offline   Reply With Quote