View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Go here and read up. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/index.htm

Not from Texas, so I can't give you first-hand information...but looks to be a pretty easy-to-use website.
Thanks Gary, you saved me some time. I read most of the website and I would like to summarize to see if I got it right.

In the DFW/Houston/Galveston area and for 1996 and newer cars, the emission test consists of checking the cars OBD-II. No sniffing. They check for Check Engine Lights and the status of the emission component monitors. It is the status of these monitors that could...and I repeat could...give our OP some grief.

The monitors look at stuff like the EGR, O2 sensors, etc. The monitors read either Ready or Not Ready. And if more than one is Not Ready, then you do not pass the test. This became effective October 15, 2008 for 2001 and newer cars. Prior to that you have two monitors Not Ready and still pass, now you can only have one Not Ready and still pass. I think this is a big change.

So, its my guess that the O2 sensors monitors will be the OP's most likely Not Ready problem, since the cats have been relocated with the new LT headers and the two back O2 sensors think something is wrong with the cats. When the OP put on the headers, the Check Engine Light probably came on shortly after or he had a tune that cleared the CEL and perhaps did something else to keep the CEL from coming back on.

So, for peace of mind, the OP can go to a tuner that can check the OBD-II monitors to see if they are all Ready and if Not Ready...well I sure want to hear about the fix.

Perhaps some of our G8 friends have already been through this, and we have 2 years to figure this out. I wonder why these performance shops are not also Inspection Stations...hmmm. Maybe some are and I would sure like to hear from them.

Have a great day...
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote