View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #223
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Sorry my question was rhetorical. Yes a lighter car is better, as long as it has a very rigid chassis with which the suspension can be at its optimum.
My point was that the 5Gen should not be without a Z28 because of its weight. It, the 5Gen can and does perform very well. And adding the LS7 will make it a Boss eater, which was its very mission many years ago.

BTW, a 1st Gen Camaro SS350 weighed very much the same as a Z28. Also the Z28 wheels were 15" vs. the 14" on an SS350.
All true, and as you mentioned in your first response, back in the day no vert was available on the Z/28 either. Now while a SS350 vert with auto and ac would be heavier than a Z/28, you are correct that it had nothing to do with the Z/28 being made lighter in any way, it was just that the SS was heavier due to options ordered that could not be ordered on the Z/28 (again, exactly as you said). You can certainly count me as one of the more "purist" Z/28 fanatics on this forum, but I can get behind the LS7 fifth gen. Z/28 right away as a fifth gen version with it's added weight needs something like the LS7 to counteract that weight in a higher HP/torque, higher revving NA engine to make a good fifth gen Z/28. I just don't see a production LS3 being enough HP/torque for a practical fifth gen Z/28 (and forget about wilder LS3 crate engines, they are a long way from ever being certified for a production vehicle). So if you don't go with an LS3, you want a NA engine so that excludes the LSA and LS9, what production Chevy/GM engine does that leave for an honest 5th gen Z/28? Hmmmmm, the only practical choice I see left is...................................the LS7!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote