View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
JWild

Drives: 2010 black on black SS
Buying a motorcycle without title in hand

I have been in the market for a bike lately, I found a nice clean one at a good price on ebay, however before I sent the deposit I got this email, does this sound fishy to anyone?

-We have any issue with the title... i have only owned this bike since August 2010, and that is when i did my loan on it... I just called my bank to make an appt for us to come in and get the title at 10.30 Sat morn, and they told me that the state of CT is so backed up in issuing titles, that they dont have it yet. so essentially, a title for the bike doesnt exist yet. they said they will call DMV and see if they can have them rush order and send the title to them before Saturday, but they cant guarantee it. obviously this is a pretty big issue, i know i would have a hard time walking away from a vehicle purchase without title in hand.... at this rate the bank is working on getting the title asap, but may not have it by Saturday. Ill do whatever u are more comfortable with... if you want to come take the bike on Saturday, and the bank will overnight u the title as soon as they get it, you can do that.... or u can wait until the bank has the title and then take the bike and title togetehr...up to you.
Im comfortable letting you take the bike on saturday if you would like... ill even leave my plate on it for you, so you have a registered bike on your hands and can ride it.... then when the bank mails u the title, u can mail my plate back to me.
The bank can explain this in person to you on Sat also... so its not just some guy you never met over email! Let me know what you are comfortable with, and hopefully we can work it out... i dont want to lose the sale, and i you already got a loan, so you probably dont either.
Regarding who the check is made out to.... if the bank is an official check from a major institution(bank of america, citi, chase, etc...) then it can me made to me or the bank, and they will release title... if its from a a small local bank or credit union, and its made to me, they require it clears before they release title... at this point it may not matter, it sounds like they wont have the title for Saturday....
Let me know what you want to do man... im really sorry for the hold up... state of CT DMV is a mess... last car i bought, it took DMV almost 8 months to get me the title!
JWild is offline   Reply With Quote