View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Explit Player
IG @Brian_ _Self

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6+17'Tesla Model S
Lightbulb ZL1 Cradle into SS lessons learned

I just wanted to make this because it would have helped me with my small issues I ran into during my (ZL1) rear cradle + drive shaft swap.

Assuming you have,
  • Disconnected the large rear harness on the passenger side near the front-rear cradle mount
  • Unbolted your calipers from the spindle and unbolted the brake line retainers that tuck them away.
  • Disconnected your driveshaft
  • Prayed you are ready to move the heavy son of a bitch
  • Unbolted the 4 Cradle mounts
  • (If applicable) transferred all of your SS harness to the ZL1 cradle. (In my application I COULD NOT use the ZL1 speed sensors. You may be different. But I had to swap mine.)
  • Bolted the new cradle back up in a criss-cross tightening motion as to prevent getting it in a bind.
  • Connected Harness, Bolted back up Calipers and lines, reconnected your NEW Drive Shaft (Know that the SS shaft will not work without (In my opinion) Sketchy modification.)

You will notice a few things when looking over your finished job.
  • The rear cradle mounts DO NOT touch the mounting surface with the black rubber bushing, front two mounts DO touch.
  • You may have a TCS/ Stabilitrak light come on= I needed to straighten up my alignment and it went away.
  • Notice a Vibration when driving the car at certain speeds= Rotate your Driveshaft -> Differential mount 1/3 of a turn and if that doesn't work, try the next 1/3 of a turn
  • Your factory SS pipes are touching the fatass ZL1 differential= modify (bend) the pipe to allow clearance.
  • Go get a f***ing alignment for sure. Its not okay for you to drive like how it sits. Your contact patch is off and you will break things if you dont square it up eventually.
  • (If applies) Your speedo is off track. Not too big of a deal. Just get a passenger to check Waze or any other GPS app on your phone that displays your speed, and memorize your speed at 10,30,45,55, and 65ish to give a rough estimate of what you're actually doing until you drop by the stealership and pay 70-90$ for them to plug in their computer and type a few digits.
  • Change tires because your new Diff and Axles can withstand burnouts once again.