View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The small levels of football I did play it would be hard to follow the rules they are trying to implement.

My gut tells me that if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen. But my brain asks the question "When do we finally become ancient Rome?"

The head to head rule is a good rule if it were judged correctly. Fact is the head is on top of our shoulders. Our eyes are in our head. You can't hit with only the shoulder all the time when you have a big ass helmet on top. Usually the defender curls and the helmet to helmet is a result. If the safety, CB or LB tries to judge the offensive players intention, he will miss a lot of tackles and be replaced.

Now you have REAL headhunters out there on Sunday. The scrupulous players won't take the chance, and the dummies will. IMO, you create an even greater risk.
I didn't play defense (WR) but it does seem it would be hard to alter the way you were taught to play and have played for all of these years.

Not only will it affect some players tackling efficiency but it will reduce the turnovers some defenders once forced. Some defenders sole reason for a bone crushing hit is it jar the ball loose. It will be interesting to see how it changes things.

You made some good points Randy. There are those players who seem to take great pleasure in headhunting. Those players will be dealt a harsher punishment than those who aren't repeat offenders. Harrison from the Steelers comes to mind.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote